Thursday, December 15, 2011

Finding My Passion Through a Naptime Project

A few days ago I decided I was going to make a commitment to hit the books and read as much as I can about employability, jobs, and career searching - and I have! I've been majorly requesting as many books as I can find at the library (I LOVE my local library) and I've been reading articles and checking out other blogs. I try to squeeze as much researching as I can into nap times. (I LOVE nap times.) There is so much stuff out there and I have only touched the surface. I've started to pin things that I'd like to read or have already read onto my pinterest.

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying just reading and taking notes on things I want to share. Starting this blog has been a great project for me and I have been much in need of a project! I feel that every new stay-at-home mom really needs some sort of mommy project. I know a lot of SAHMs that take up photography (why not when you have such cute subjects) or cooking or blogging or start a mommy business. Regardless of what you decided to do, having some sort of goal-oriented project is great for taking your mind off all the drool and poop.

One of the reasons I started this blog was because I was having trouble finding a naptime project. I have no hobbies; my career was my hobby. It sounds sad but I truly enjoy the organization of going into work for a set amount of time and focusing all of my thoughts onto one/many tasks that support an end goal. Right after I had my son, I channeled all of this "work" energy into taking care of my son, which sounds good but it really wasn't. I read every parenting book I could find, I started writing down every little think my son did, I gave ridiculously detailed instructions for the smallest of tasks, even for my husband, and even if I was only just going to take a shower. I tried to organize my infant, which obviously went over spectacularly. To some degree I'm sure this is a very normal reaction for a new mom, but one day, I finally realized that I can take care of my son without making it my life's work.


I love the idea of working for myself and so I really wanted to start a mommy business. I read a bunch of things about starting a business and everything seemed pretty fun and manageable but I kept stumbling over the "idea" or the "product" or the "service" that I needed to center my business around. In thinking about this whole hobby/business thing I kind of realized that I am not even sure what I want to be passionate about!

About a month ago someone suggest that I read "What Color is Your Parachute" by Richard Bolles. I read it in 2007 when I was going through a job search and found it be really helpful; it was so helpful that I read the first two chapters and found a job right away. (These events were not mutually exclusive either; one of the methods he advocates for is asking family and friends, which is how I ended up finding that job.)

So finally last week, right before I stumbled upon starting this blog, I took it out and starting flipping past the two chapters I had already read and I found a whole section on "resuming the search to find your dream." So I've decided that this is going to be my first recommended reading book. When I go back to the job market I don't want to return to just any old 9-5, I want to truly LOVE what I am doing because otherwise it's just not worth it.

Sincerely,
Jordan