Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Overcome the Fear: give yourself permission to be a beginner

I spent a lot of time last week talking with my sister about fear and it resulted in this post. So when I finished watching the following video by Jenny Blake on her blog Life After College I had to post about it because she has a fantastic message in this video that really resonated with me.

I cued it up so you could start watching right when she begins her talk, however, if you are into yoga or just looking for a little relaxation check out the 1st two minutes for a nice little in your chair stretch.



I really identified with the part where she talks about how "her inner perfectionist" is affected by the naysayers that say "if you can't do something perfect out of the gate then you shouldn't even bother;" which is pretty ridiculous if you think about it. No one is perfect when starting something new and for many of us the biggest challenge to starting something is all the fear that comes along with it.

Her message is about relinquishing that fear. For me, she reaffirmed my decision to put all of my vulnerabilities out there: leaving the workforce, starting a blog, and basically everything I am doing to step out of my comfort zone every day. It's so hard and I have a lot of fear but it is reassuring to hear that "everybody starts somewhere." The reality is that if you don't start then you will never get anywhere, so go ahead and give yourself permission to be a beginner.

Sincerely,
Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment