Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How I Decided to Become a SAHM

So yesterday I made it my SAHM status official and put in my two weeks notice at my job. Coming to this conclusion took a really long time, a lot of conversations with my husband, and advice from friends and family. It was HARD.

One of the things that helped me the most was writing out a list of reasons to work or not work and then ranking each reason 1 (least important) to 10 (most important.) I felt like the pro/con list was pretty easy to make but not really helpful because both sides had their merit. However, once I was able to give a quantitative value to what is truly important in my life right now, I found the decision to be easier (not easy but more manageable.)

In the end, leaving my job to stay home with my son was just the right thing for me and my family.

Sincerely,
Jordan

P.S. - I want to know: are you working? Staying home with baby? How did you come to your decision?

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I did a similar activity where I actually filled an entire notebook with lists, graphs, and pros and cons of working or staying at home. I decided that financially, the best choice would be for me to go back to work. But then, when he was born, I knew that I was staying at home. It was the best decision I have ever made. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting it down on paper really does help! It's such a hard decision. I'm glad you were able to take the time - I wish more moms who want to are able!

      Delete